Links of Interest
This page is a list of links that you may find helpful. Click on the category link below or just scroll down to view all.
- Consumer Reports (Available only within the library. Ask librarian for login and password information)
- Consumer World
- 40 Developmental Assets Stories celebrating local "Asset Builders", ideas and tips on how you can build assets in kids, some of the local initiatives and programs that have assets at their core, and information on how to connect with us and support a community that is more resilient and resistant to drug and alcohol abuse.
- Business Loan Funds
- Carbondale Main Street
- Carbondale Chamber of Commerce
- Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity
- Illinois WorkNet Center
- Office of Economic and Regional Development
- Access SI
- Care.com helps you find local child care, special needs care, tutoring, senior care, pet care, housekeeping and other services.
- sifamilies.org a one-stop shop for southern Illinois families to find information on local events, businesses, resources, learning opportunities, blogs, coupons and much, much more!
Government Information (back to top)
- Congress.org (a guide to the U.S. Congress)
- Illinois Department of Revenue
- Circuit Breaker and Pharmaceutical Assistance Form
- Health Insurance Marketplace (Info about new health insurance options available to individuals and small businesses on October 1, 2013, when the Affordable Care Act takes effect.)
Job Search (back to top)
Legal Services (back to top)
- Ayuda Legal Services (free legal information for lower-income, Spanish-speaking residents of Illinois)
- Jackson County Legal Self-Help Center
Local Area Schools (back to top)
- Brehm Preparatory School
- Carbondale Community High School District 165
- Carbondale Elementary School District #95
- Carbondale New School
- Giant City School
- Headstart Program at SIUC
- John A. Logan College
- Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- Trinity Christian School
- Unity Point School
Local Government and Resources (back to top)
Minority Resources (back to top)
Newspapers (back to top)
- Chicago Sun-Times
- Chicago Tribune
- Daily Egyptian
- DuQuoin Evening Call
- Evansville Courier
- St. Louis Post Dispatch
- Southern Illinoisan
- Springfield Journal-Register
- Carbondale Community Arts
- Carbondale Convention & Tourism Bureau
- Carbondale Park District
- Carbondale Soccer, Inc.
- Giant City State Park
- Jackson County Historical Society
- Southern Illinois Irish Festival
- Southernmost Illinois Visitor's Guide
- The Science Center
Government Information (IGI)
- Illinois Newspaper
Project: Preserving Illinois Heritage as part of the U.S. Newspaper
- Jackson County Illinois Trails & Genealogy
- SILC: Statewide Illinois Library Catalog
- The State of Illinois
- www.elections.il.gov See your registration information and polling place. Learn more about how to register.
- Fact Check (non-partisan guide for voters) Monitors the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews and news releases.
- League of Women Voters of the US (non-partisan group for citizens) provides voting information
- Project Vote Smart (non-partisan guide for voters) Candidate biographies, voting records, issue positions, speeches and campaign finance information
- Center for Responsive Politics (non-partisan guide for voters) provides information for federal campaign contributions, lobbying data, lists of donors by donor name and candidate name. Note --covers only information required to be made public
- www.procon.org (non-partisan guide for voters) Nonprofit public charity with no government affiliation. The site researches controversial issues and presents the pro and con arguments and presidential candidates' positions on some of those issues.