- Free eBooks by Project Gutenberg: Over 40,000 free ebooks , including Kindle format, are available.
- Amazon: According to Amazon, there are over 950,000 free Kindle items just on their site. Books can be purchased for as little as 99¢. To find free books type “0.00 genre” into the search box (example: 0.00 mystery) you will see the mysteries that are available for free download.
- Pixel of Ink: Free and bargain priced Kindle books are available. Selection changes daily.
Information About Kindle Touch eBook Devices
We now have Kindle Touch devices available for check out to our Carbondale Public Library card holders. When you check a Kindle out, it will come fully set up and ready to go with 6 various top selling ebooks available. No Amazon account or knowledge required. Loaning period is 3 weeks.
- Connected Kindle to a wifi network (see below).
- Register device to yourself using an Amazon account. If you do not have an account, you can create one from the device or from a computer. If you create one from the Kindle Touch, you will need to enter credit card information. Create one from Amazon.com without a credit card.
- Turn on wireless or connect to a wifi network (see below).
- Tap the home button (black lines on bottom-center area of case).
- Tap ‘Menu’ (upper right of screen), then ‘Settings’.
- Tap ‘Registration’. Then you can set up an Amazon account or use an existing account.
- More information and a great video, go to Amazon Kindle Touch Support.
If you register the device, be sure to deregister the device or restore default settings to erase any account information.
How to connect Kindle Touch to Wifi:
- From the Home screen, tap Menu.
- Tap Settings, then Wi-Fi Networks. You'll see a list of detected Wi-Fi networks. You may have to wait a moment as your Kindle Touch detects networks in range.
- Tap the name of the network you wish to join. If necessary, enter the Wi-Fi network password. (If you are using the library wifi, when prompted you will need to allow the device to open a browser and tap "I Accept" on the internet usage agreement.)
How to restore factory defaults or reset device (suggest to do before returning device to erase any account information):
- Press the home button (black lines on bottom-center area of case).
- Tap ‘Menu’ (upper right of screen), select ‘Settings’.
- Tap ‘Menu’ again. Then select ‘Reset Device’.
- OR if you are prompted to enter a password, enter '111222777'.
- How To Download Purchased Amazon Ebooks To Kindle
- Check-In Procedure Instructions
- "In processing because" check list
- If device doesn't turn on or seems to be frozen, reset device by pressing and holding the power button on bottom for 30 seconds.
- If "Text-To-Speech" quits working, restart device by pressing "home" button. Tap "menu" then select "Settings". Tap "Menu" again and select "Restart".
- Print materials included in case: