11 Days for Peace: Peace & Compassion Reception
See the 60 + events for 11 Days for Peace, October 18-28 atThe following events will be at the Carbondale Public Library:
- Sunday, October 20 Morning of Mindfulness, 8am-11:30am Meditation retreat, including walking and sitting meditation and readings. The library is open for this event only. Regular library hours begin at 1pm.
- Tuesday, October 22 Family Style Story Time: Peace & Compassion, 10am Peace themed story time for kids of all ages. Stories and songs followed by craft and snack. No registration necessary.
- Saturday, October 26 Community Cinema: The State of Arizona, 2:30pm The divisive battle over illegal immigration in Arizona frames this tense documentary that tracks multiple perspectives--activists, politicians, Latino immigrants, and others. Community discussion to follow.
- Sunday, October 27 778 Bullets: Film and Discussion, 2:30pm In 1970, university, state and local police shot 778 Bullets into a house in Carbondale, IL targeting the local Black Panther Party. 778 Bullets recovers this little known local history in the struggle for civil rights. Film and community discussion with the film's Director Angela Aguayo.
- Off-site event sponsored by the Friends of the Library: Monday, October 28 Peace & Compassion Reception, 5pm-7pm Boys and Girls Club of Carbondale Gymnasium (250 N. Springer St.) With refreshments and entertainment, this culminating 11 Days for Peace event serves three purposes: to present the Hugh Muldoon Peacemaker Award to recipient Hugh Muldoon; to generate enthusiasm for an official Compassionate Cities Campaign in Carbondale; and to recognize the Carbondale Human Relations Commission, Nonviolent Carbondale participants and the entire community for their contributions to the 2012 11 Days for Compassion, which resulted in an ALA Excellence in Library Programming Award to the Carbondale Public Library.
Share your peacemaking ideas with us at: The Peacemaking Tree Project, October 1-November 1