February 22, 2014
from 2:30 PM to 2:30 PM month until May 31, 2014
|Add event to calendar||
Riveting documentary films and community discussions. Last Saturday of the Month. September-October; February - May. 2:30pm at the Carbondale Public Library. Thanks to our partners: WSIU & SIU College of Mass Communication & Media Arts.
- September 28 "The Graduates/Los Graduados" examines the many roots of the Latino dropout crisis through the eyes of a diverse array of inspiring Latino adolescents from the U.S.
- October 26 "The State of Arizona." CANCELLED
- February 22 "Las Marthas." Two Mexican-American girls in Laredo, Texas prepare for the annual debutante ball during a time of economic uncertainty and tension over immigration.
- March 29 "The Trials of Muhammad Ali." Learn about Ali's battle to overturn the five-year prison sentence he received for refusing U.S. Military service.
- April 26 "Medora" follows Medora, Indiana's varsity basketball team over a season, capturing players' stories on and off the court as the town fights for economic survival.
- May 31 "The New Black." Centering on the historic fight to win marriage equality in Maryland, this film examines how the African-American community grapples with gay rights.
ITVS Community is the national community engagement program of the Independent Television Service (ITVS) and the Emmy® Award-winning PBS series Independent Lens. Through Community Engagement Campaigns in support of groundbreaking, independent films, our innovative educational product ITVS Community Classroom and our flagship community outreach program Community Cinema, ITVS Community works to bring communities together and connect them with information, resources, and opportunities for education, engagement, and positive change. ITVS Community builds on our 20-year legacy of community engagement activities and makes public broadcasting into a powerful resource for individuals, communities, and organizations working on key social issues around the country. For a complete lineup or more information about the Community Cinema series visit: