Upcoming Board Meeting Agenda
Carbondale Public Library Board of Trustees
Library Meeting Room, 405 West Main St.
Wednesday, February 12, 2014
Call to order.
Introductions, audience and visitors. Visitors are asked to introduce themselves at this time and present any issues they wish to discuss. Visitors wishing to address specific agenda items will be granted two to five minutes at the discretion of the President, not to exceed a total of twenty minutes.
Roland Person, President (1)
Philip Brown, Vice President
Susan Tulis, Secretary
Don Prosser, Treasurer (2)
Joyce Hayes (1)
Harriet Simon (1)
Sharifa Stewart (1)
Julian Pei (1 + 4 excused)
The number following the Trustee’s name indicates the number of absences this fiscal year.
Diana Brawley Sussman, Library Director
Gwen Hall, Finance Manager
1. Approval of the December 11, 2013 minutes. One correction needed: change the word “someone” to “some” in the librarian’s report. Harriet Simon made a motion to approve the minutes with this correction. Barbara Levine seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
Correspondence and communications.
1. Discussed Jackson County Board of Review appeals for reductions in assessed value.
1. Approval of bills payable up to and including bills due January 16, 2013 to February 15, 2013. Philip Brown made a motion to approve payment of bills. Susan Tulis seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
2. Acceptance of the financial report for November 2013. Gwen Hall reported that the library had received another 88,000 in property tax revenue. Revenue is coming in faster than it was last year. Gwen Hall addressed questions. Joyce Hayes made a motion to accept the report. Sharifa Stewart seconded. MOTION passed unanimously.
1. Building and grounds maintenance and construction. The Director reported that the carpeting had been completed as scheduled, with the exception of the stairway landing. Considering the high cost of replacing all quarry tile, we will install “walk-off” carpet tile on the landing and entryway vestibules, which should reduce carpet stains throughout the library. There may be some costs incurred to create in-ground outlets and re-route data lines. These changes will reduce the hazard of patrons’ laptop cords being strung across a throughway when plugged into the wall. It will allow us to reposition one staff person’s desk. The Director reported that library staff had been very helpful, and Maintenance Manager Jimmy Kalert’s expertise and flexible personality were enormously beneficial throughout the project.
2. City Council meeting on levies. The Director reported that there were two votes against the levy (Mayor Fritzler and Councilwoman Adams). However, the Mayor stated that his objection was to the city’s levy, not the library’s and said that he felt that Councilwoman Adams agreed with him on this point.
Discussed making sure that we have (and that staff are aware of) memorial/in-honor-of donation forms. Discussed reviewing and perhaps amending by-laws to ensure that they allow for excused absences.
Adjourned at 5:09 pm
Next Board Meetings for 2014 (all in Public Library meeting room, 4:30 p.m.): February 12, March 12, April 9, May 14, June 11, July 9, August 13, September 10, October 8, November 12, December 10
Susan Tulis, Secretary
Prepared by: Diana Brawley Sussman, Library Director